OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: December 02, 2018
Webpage updated: December 02, 2018
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
The Admiralty School at Caroline Place, East Stonehouse, was established in 1871 as a school for the female and infant children of Royal Marines stationed at the Royal Marine Barracks and was housed in a building of the Gothic style that backed on to the Plymouth Great Western Docks at Millbay.
In 1890 the schoolmaster was Mr John Westaway and the mistress was Mrs Moysey. In 1897 Miss Hawke was the girls' mistress and Miss Harriet Westaway was the infants' mistress. It might be noted that a Mr Francis Westaway was the master in charge of the Royal Marine School in the Long Room in 1897.
The School was closed in about 1932/33 and the building was transferred to the Plymouth Education Authority for use as the Caroline Place Elementary Council School for Girls.