OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: February 13, 2018
Webpage updated: February 13, 2018
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
CHAPEL OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
The Chapel of the Good Shepherd was located within the grounds of the Royal Naval Hospital, East Stonehouse.
It was built in 1889 and could accommodate nearly 300 worshippers. It was damaged during World War Two when the stained glass window depicting "The Supper at Emmaus" was destroyed.
The Chapel was re-opened on February 16th1944 with a service conducted by the Chaplain of the Fleet, The Venerable Archdeacon J K Wilson, MA.
Its interior was decorated with many ships' badges and especially the flags worn by His Majesty's Hospital Ship "Oxfordshire" while serving with the British Pacific Fleet. The ship was present on August 30th 1945 for the surrender of Hong Kong by the Japanese.
A memorial records the deaths of two Sick Berth Attendants who were killed during the air raids of 1941.
As a result of the Royal Naval Hospital being sold into private use, the Chapel became part of Saint Dunstan's Abbey School for Girls, which moved to the site from North Road, Plymouth. In 2004 the School was amalgamated into Plymouth College Preparatory School. The Chapel was re-dedicated to Saint Dunstan on May 20th 2009, the day after Saint Dunstan's Day.