OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: February 11, 2018
Webpage updated: March 31, 2018
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
CORPUS CHRISTI CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
The Corpus Christi Congregational Chapel was located at 18 Union Place, East Stonehouse, between Battery Street and what was then Twickenham Place, later Manor Street.
It was founded at number 17 Union Place, East Stonehouse, in 1835 as an Independent chapel, with the Reverend George Henry Godden as minister. In 1856 the Reverend Charles Hemington became the minister. He was a strict Baptist. He left in 1871 and moved to Devizes, in Wiltshire, where he was killed in a bus accident in 1904.
By 1890 Corpus Christi Chapel had been purchased by the Spiritualists and was used for their meetings.
Much later, as number 18 Union Place, the building was used for industrial purposes, first as a mineral water factory (Messrs Mumby's Ltd) and from 1925 as a printing works (Messrs Bowering Press Ltd).