OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: February 113, 2018
Webpage updated: February 13, 2018
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
EAST STONEHOUSE TEMPERANCE HALL AND HOTEL
The Plymouth Temperance Society was formed in about 1832 by a Mr George Carr, from New Ross, Ireland. It was followed in 1838 by the formation of the Devonport and Plymouth Teetotal Societies.
In 1847 the East Stonehouse Temperance Society was formed. They were fortunate to be able to acquire from the Great Western Railway Company the only piece freehold ground available in East Stonehouse, the site formerly occupied by the limekilns belonging to Mr Peter Symons, next door to the Millbay Gas Works.
On Monday March 31st 1851 the foundation stone for a Temperance Hall and Hotel was laid by Mr E S Codd, of Plymouth, who was standing in for M T Gill, who ha been called away to London on business. Also present was the chairman of the Building Committee, Mr Joseph Murch. It became part of Lower Buckingham Terrace, Millbay Road.
A coffee room and a reading room for the "working classes" was to be on the ground floor of the new Hall, along with 'a large and commodious Reading and News Room', where a subscription of 2d per week would give the reader access to London and local newspapers and various journals. Above those rooms was to be a lecture hall capable of accommodating about 500 people where events would be held that would be 'calculated to advance the moral and social improvement of the people'.
Mr John Freeman gave the foundation stone and a large quantity of granite towards the building, Mr Langman paid for the plans and specifications and Mr Ambrose provided the plan of the elevation. Mr Thomas Gill donated £25 to the venture.
It was open by 1852, when the manager was Mr James Oliver. The secretary of the East Stonehouse movement was Mr E C Cross.