OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: February 11, 2018
Webpage updated: February 11, 2018
Webpages on site: 000
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL
The Anglican Church of Saint Paul is situated at the southern end of Durnford Street, East Stonehouse, Plymouth.
Built of stone in the Gothic style, it was erected to the designs of Mr John Foulston of Plymouth as a chapel-of-ease to the Anglican Church of Saint George, further up the road in Chapel Street. It was opened on July 5th 1831.
The ecclesiastical parish was formed on December 12th 1883, following which the Church was restored in 1885-86 and the chancel, designed by Messrs Hine and Odgers, was added in 1890-91.
It consist of chancel, nave, west porch, and a low tower containing one bell. Restored 1885-86 and in 1891 the chancel was added.
Following the destruction of the Anglican Church of Saint George in the Second World War, in 1954 the parishes were amalgamated and became Saint George with Saint Paul.