OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: February 11, 2018
Webpage updated: February 11, 2018
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
SILOAM CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
The Siloam Congregational Chapel was at number 5 Union Place, East Stonehouse, between Battery Street and what was then Twickenham Place, later Manor Street.
It was built in 1848 by a 27-years-old local tradesman, Mr Samuel Hobbs. He was its minister for 45 years and during that time took no salary.
Mr Hobbs also ran an Academy at that address and was superintendent for Devon and Cornwall of the United Kingdom Temperance Provident Society. He died in 1893 at the age of 72 years, at which point the Chapel was sold.
The Reverend J H Best was minister in 1904. The following year the Chapel was sold again, this time to Mr Henry Hurrell. He used it in conjunction with the former Ebenezer Baptist Chapel at 15 Union Street as an adult school.
Following the destruction of the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel during the Second World War, the activities were transferred to the Siloam Chapel, where in 1944 they were being carried on under the title of the Ebenezer-with-Emmanuel Baptist Church Hall.