OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: March 17, 2021
Webpage updated: March 17, 2021
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
VALLETORT SECONDARY MODERN SCHOOL
The Valletort Secondary Modern School was situated at East Street, Stonehouse, Plymouth, in the premises previously the East Street Elementary School and before that the East Street Board School.
It was formed in 1938/39 as the Valletort Senior School for Boys and was one of the schools that were located in Block C of the old Stoke Military Hospital. Accommodation had been provided for 400 children. 
Then in 1941 the High Street (East Stonehouse) Senior School for Girls was amalgamated with it to form a mixed school, which following the Education Act 1944 became the Valletort Secondary Modern School. The Headmaster in 1955 was Mr L J Hannaford.
The last admissions were in 1966 and the Valletort Secondary Modern School closed in July 1970. It was closed partly because of falling admissions, 71 in 1969 compared with 154 in 1963, and also the condition of the old buildings.